The North West Rail Link’s multi-billion-dollar tunnelling contract has attracted global attention, according to Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian.
Ms Berejiklian said six consortiums, including more than 60 companies, have signalled their intention to bid for the contract to build the twin 15.5kilometre tunnels between Bella Vista and Epping.
She said the companies were from Australia and around the world including Spain, the USA, France, the UK, South Africa, China, Italy and Japan.
Official tenders will be called for in October to build what will become the longest and deepest rail tunnels in Australia.
The joint venture parties which have lodged expressions of interest are:
- Baulderstone Bouyges North West Rail Joint Venture: Baulderstone Pty Ltd, Bouyges Travaux Publics;
- China Rail 15th Group Australia Pty Ltd;
- Civilinc: Acciona Infrastructure Australia Pty Ltd, Ferrovial Agroman (Australia) Pty Ltd, Ghella Pty Ltd;
- OHL Impregilo: Obrascon Huarte Lain SA (OHL), Impregilo S.p.A
- RapidLink: Obayashi Corporation, McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aust), Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction;
- Thiess John Holland Dragados: Thiess Pty Ltd, John Holland Pty Ltd, Dragados Australia Pty Ltd;
Following the call for tenders to build the tunnels, a contract is expected to be awarded in the second half of next year.