Joint Afghan patrols suspended over attack fears

AUSTRALIA has suspended some joint patrols with Afghan soldiers amid fears the anti-Islam film that sparked violence across the world could heighten the risk of insider attacks.

In keeping with an order from the International Security Assistance Force - of which Australia is a member - Defence Minister Stephen Smith said yesterday that joint operations between Australians and Afghans in Oruzgan province had been halted for the past two days.

But the abrupt way the decision was announced by ISAF has drawn strong criticism from one retired general for embarrassing Australia and Britain, which were caught by surprise.

Mr Smith told Parliament yesterday that no joint patrols below the level of battalions - made up of 500 or 600 soldiers - had taken place on Monday and Tuesday. Meanwhile, Australian and Afghan National Army commanders were holding talks with the ISAF southern regional commander about resuming joint patrols.

Mr Smith said he could not say how long that would take. ''I am not putting a timetable on that,'' he told Parliament. ''That will be an operational matter.''

ISAF announced on Tuesday night that ''in response to elevated threat levels resulting from the Innocence of Muslims video, ISAF has taken some prudent, but temporary, measures to reduce our profile and vulnerability to civil disturbances or insider attacks.''

Retired Major-General Jim Molan said last night the suspension should not over-hinder Australia's mission of training Afghan soldiers, provided the suspension did not go on too long. But he slammed the announcement by ISAF commander General John Allen as ''clumsily handled''.

Key contributors, including Britain, which has lost 430 soldiers since the war began in 2001, were left in the dark.

''General Allen acted without adequate consultation in my view, with all the countries involved,'' Major-General Molan said. ''You never put your allies into a position where they are politically embarrassed. That's the first rule of alliance warfare.''

Mr Smith told ABC radio yesterday that Australia was ''less surprised than others''. But he was ''not asserting we were consulted before the decision''.

The suspension decision follows the deaths of three Australian soldiers recently in a so-called ''green on blue'' attack in which an Afghan soldier opened fire on the Australians. Sapper James Martin was buried in Perth on Tuesday.

ISAF's statement said the suspension balanced ''the tension of the recent video with force protection, while maintaining the momentum of the campaign''.

Follow the National Times on Twitter

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop