FEDERAL Mitchell MP Alex Hawke is encouraging The Hills residents to start planning for Anzac Day commemorations.
The Hills will hold multiple services throughout the day to pay tribute to many brave Australians who have served in the defence force.
Centenary of Anzac Reserve (formerly known as Wrights Road Reserve) will host the second biggest dawn service in Sydney, and there will be services held in Annangove and Glenorie later in the day.
“I encourage everyone in the Hills district to attend a service on Anzac Day or take time to pause, reflect and remember those who have served and those who have given their lives for our country,” Mr Hawke said.
“We are forever grateful to the men and women, past and present, who have served in our Army, Navy and Air Force.”
Mr Hawke added that this year marks significant anniversaries of famous battles during both world wars.
“This year also marks the centenary of the Battle of Bullecourt in France, the Battle of Messines, the Battle of Polygon Wood and the Battle of Beersheeva, as well as the 75th anniversaries of the Fall of Singapore, the Bombing of Darwin and the Kokoda campaign — they are all important events from our history that this nation will never forget,” he said.
Police are encouraging people to be safe during commemorations on Anzac Day.
Operation Callaway will be in effect on the day to ensure everyone respectfully honours the Anzacs.
Superintendent Mark Walton, who will command the operation, encouraged people to look after each other on the day.
“As this year’s Anzac Day falls on a Tuesday, we are anticipating some celebrations will stretch over from the weekend so remember the reasons for commemorating this day and act in the true Anzac spirit – look out for your mates,” he said.
Anzac Day commemorations in The Hills will be held at:
- Dawn Service: The Castle Hill RSL Sub-branch hosts the second biggest Anzac Day Dawn Service in Sydney. The service starts at 6am at Centenary of Anzac Reserve (formerly Wrights Road Reserve), on the corner of Wrights Road and Green Road, in Castle Hill.
- Castle Hill RSL: After the dawn service, the RSL will host a complimentary breakfast for veterans and invited guests. Two-up will be in the Lycuem from noon.
- Glenorie Anzac Day Service: A service will be held at Glenorie RSL Memorial at 3.15pm. Phillip Ruddock will be the guest speaker. There will be live entertainment and two-up at Glenorie RSL.
- Annangrove Anzac Day Service: Annangrove Progress Association is hosting a service at 11am at Annangrove Park War Memorial.
- Luncheon: The Hills Club will hold a commemoration luncheon and wreath laying ceremony at 2, Jenner Street, Baulkham Hills at 1pm.